8 Legs chicken
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of thyme
1/2 tablespoon of basil leaves
1 tablespoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
4 tablespoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of mustard
2 tblspns of garlic salt
1 tblspn of ground ginger
3 tblspns of white pepper
1. Make sure that the egg, buttermilk and chicken are all at room temperature.
2. About half an hour before cooking, blend together the buttermilk and egg in a bowl.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and buttermilk mixture and then leave the chicken soaking for approximately 30 minutes.
4. After the half an hour is over, combine all 11 of the “secret” spices and mix in all of the flour.
5. Take out the chicken from the mixture, and leave it for a few minutes on a few pieces of paper towel. This helps dripping off any excess liquid of the chicken.
6. Roll the chicken into the flour and spice mixture, make sure all sides and parts are well covered, then shake off any excess mixture.
7. Once your chicken is covered in flour, herbs and spices heat up your preferred frying method. Using a small table top fryer is highly recommended. Heat oil until it is around 350°F (175°C).
8. Start to carefully put your chicken pieces into the hot oil. Make sure you don’t overfill the fryer. It’s better to go for 3 or 4 at a time!
9. Fry the chicken until it takes medium golden brown all round (Around 13-15 minutes.) It’s difficult to keep away but it would be better to turn the chicken only once!
10. You can serve your chicken right away if you like it crispy. If, like us, you’re a fan of the softer skin which you find on the real stuff, then move the cooked chicken to a plastic container, and pop the lid on for 4-5 minutes. This way the steam in the pot will soften the skin ever a little bit.